Vatayanasana, a classical Ashtanga Yoga collection pose. It looks like an aggregate of Garudasana (eagle pose) and Ardha Padmasana (1/2 of lotus pose). It’s a balancing posture that objectives specifically quads, glutes, and internal thigh muscles.
It is likewise called a flying horse pose or horse face pose.
The pose needs a large amount of flexibility already inculcated withinside the body. Thus, based on the problem it’s far an intermediate yoga posture.
What is Vatayanasana?
In Sanskrit, Vatayana means horse, and Asana means pose.
Rather, in Sanskrit, ‘Vata’ refers to air also and ‘yana’ refers to a ‘vehicle.’ However, right here withinside the pose, the term ‘Vatayana’ refers to ‘flying horse’. Therefore, every now and then it’s also known as the flying horse pose.
In Vatayanasana the body limbs make a form like a horse. If you examine the horse pose in detail, you may find;
The folded knee in 1/2 of the lotus (balancing knee) looks as if a horse nose. And
the wrapped arms, head, and chest region make a form like a horse’s top half.
The entire figure of the pose makes a form like a horse’s face; a horse who’s approximately to fly.
The horse pose is all approximately balancing the frame on a folded knee and one foot. This creates stress on the knee, thigh, and ankle. Therefore, it offers electricity to leg muscular tissues and knee joints.
(Also Read: Mugdar Exercise Benefits And Steps To Do)
Practice Guide For Vatayanasana:
Yoga master B.K.S Iyengar, in his book “Light on Yoga”, detailed the horse pose: “In the beginning, it will be difficult to balance and the knees will be painful. With practice, the pain disappears and the balance is achieved.”
So, let’s go through the below points before you go for the horse pose for safe and easy practice.
Contraindications Of Vatayanasana:
1. Avoid working towards Vatayanasana during pregnancy, sciatica, or slip disc.
2. Do not carry out it with an injured knee, hip, or ankle.
3. People stricken by fro hernia need to not exercise it as it would grow the pain.
(Also Read: 5 Best Yoga To Cure Navel Displacement)
- Lotus Pose (Padmasana)
- Seated Forward Bend Pose (Paschimottanasana)
- Child’s Pose (Balasana)
- Lizard’s Pose (Utthan Prishtasana)
- Half Lotus Seated Forward Bend (Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana)
Steps of Vatayanasana:
1. Sit on the ground putting the left foot at the right thigh near the hip crease, i.e. half padmasana.
2. Keep your hands through the sides putting the palms on the ground.
3. Exhale lifting your torso off the ground.
4. Touch the externally rotated left knee at the ground.
5. Bring the right foot ahead and locate the right heel close to the left knee. Ensure to hold the proper thigh parallel to the ground.
6. Inhale, straighten your back, stretch the pelvis ahead, and raise your hands to chest level.
7. Bend the elbows and move them in a manner that the right elbow lies withinside the crook of the left i.e. eagle pose like wrapped hands.
8. Now, entwine the forearms and be a part of the palms together.
9. Hold the pose for 30 seconds and hold breathing.
10. Release the arms and take a seat down on the ground straightening the legs.
Repeat the pose by switching the placement of the foot and the entangled arms.
(Also Read: Vajrasana Yoga Immediately After Having A Meal)
Precautions For Vatayanasana:
- Perform the asana with the right alignment and accurate posture.
- Keep the hips aligned and drawn below you by compressing the sacroiliac joint.
- Perform it below professional supervision.
- Perform it with the assistance of a companion to ease the pose and to get greater help initially.
- Eagle Pose (Garudasana)
- Half Bound Lotus Standing Forward Bend (Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana)
Modifications and Props:
Beginners who aren’t capable of discovering stability withinside the horse face pose can alter the pose with the use of props in the below modifications.
1. Using a chair- Performing Vatayanasana with a chair improves the pose a touch bit. So, place a chair in front of you around six inches away.
2. Stand on each of your knees and placed one hand on the chair’s seat. Use the opposite hand to keep the respective foot and draw it upwards to attain the thigh. Once you discover the stability, increase your hand from the chair and amplify it closer to the ceiling.
3. Placing folded blanket beneath neath knee – Before you bend your leg in 1/2 of the lotus pose, alter a blanket beneath neath the knee to easily keep and stabilize the pose.
4. Perform it with the assistance of an accomplice to ease the pose and to get more aid initially.
(Also Read: Is It Safe To Do Yoga During Periods?)
1. Perform Vatayanasana through not regarding the entangling of the arms. Simply, positioned the hands in the prayer pose and stand on one foot and one knee.
2. In this variation, in place of bringing one heel to the alternative thigh take it to the back. Then take your same hand to the back and maintain the big toe. The different foot lies on the ground with a parallel thigh.
3. Parivrtta Vatayanasana – In this variation, Vatayanasana is carried out with the hands joined in a prayer pose. Then the upper body is revolved in the direction of the standing foot with the elbow of the other hand resting on its thigh. However, the outer elbow tasks upwards with the palms pressing every other.
(Also Read: 7 Top And Effective Yoga For Slip Disc)
Benefits Of Vatayanasana:
1. Enhances flexibility:
It releases the trapped anxiety from the muscle tissues with everyday practice. The stretches concerned in the pose are superior and offer greater flexibility to the muscle tissues.
2. Strengthens muscles and bones:
It will increase the patience and balance of bones and muscle tissues. It subsequently makes the bones and muscle tissues stronger.
3. Improves blood circulation:
The asana improves the blood flow of the lower body. Especially it enables the right glide of blood via the hip region.
4. Therapeutic action:
The movements concerned in the pose assist in getting rid of any stiffness withinside the body and relieves joint pains. Thus, Vatayanasana has a healing motion on arthritis.
5. Improves posture:
The pose is centered on the lower body. Especially the hips and legs are deeply concerned in the pose. Regular exercise of Vatayanasana may even enhance minor asymmetry withinside the hips and legs. It brings the appropriate posture to the body.
6. Enhances balance and concentration:
Vatayansana enables enhance concentration power. It calls for a firm grip of stability and even as balancing the body on one foot and one knee, the concentration power enhances.
(Also Read: Top 9 Effective Yoga To Increase Oxygen Level In Blood)
Vatayanasana strengthens, improves, and therapies the body. Its numerous benefits show the capability of this asana. With the right exercise and procedure, everybody takes benefits from it.